Welcome to BCFC Times....

Welcome to BCFC Times, the unofficial blog of Bristol City Football Club. We at BCFC Times aim to bring you up-to-date news and opinions, as well as match previews and reviews, from Ashton Gate. We hope you enjoy reading our site and take time to comment and participate in our polls.

Tuesday 29 July 2008

JOHNSON CANCELS MIFSUD DEAL

Gary Johnson has this evening revealed that he has terminated negotiations between Michael Mifsud and Bristol City Football Club.


Mifsud was expected to sign a contract with the club on Monday after chairman Steve Lansdown announced the the Maltese striker had agreed terms and passed a medical at Ashton Gate.


But this evening Bristol City were still left without a new striker as terms broke down because of unprofessional behaviour from Michael Mifsud and his representatives. Johnson told bcfc.co.uk: "I had a text from the player (Mifsud) on Saturday saying that he had enjoyed looking around Bristol and would be down on Monday to sign.


"I told the chairman that and he obviously announced that at the Open Day, like I had done to many fans. The lad reneged on that and at that point I started questioning things.

"Him, his representative and lawyer took negotiations to a new level that I've never been before, not as in finances necessarily, but in the way they were conducting business.

"In my opinion it wasn't very professional and certainly not respectful of this football club."

Johnson also admitted he was sorry for the fans and the chairman: "I'm sorry for the supporters and especially sorry for the chairman because he's done exactly what I wanted him to do. He's come up twice with £1.5m for Meteb and Mifsud.

"Twice we've agreed with clubs and twice we've agreed with players. I'm only going to do things that are right for the football club - I promise the fans that.

"Both situations proved, given certain incidents during the negotiations with the players that they weren't right. I think at some stage we would have lost them, albeit in the head or whatever circumstances.

"However good the players are, you will lose them in the end if they don't come across as what we need for this football club.

"I don't think he's right for us. I know people will be shocked by that and this is not me trying to enhance my reputation for interview techniques.

"I can't commit £1.5m of the club's money to people that I don't think can be committed to the club over three years.

"That means so much to me and this football club. We've worked so hard over the last few years getting where we are with the dressing room we have.

"When I talk to people and try and do a deal with them you get to know their weaknesses. Although they might be very good players, in the end if they aren't the right personality for me and the club they'll let you down in the end."

City fans will now wait to see if the un-named striker who was expected to join will, and whether Johnson can find the second striker he craves.

No comments: